Monday, March 16, 2009

A Forgotten Death...

As I was sitting in my room a thought popped into my head, the following is the thought manifsted into a spoken-word piece. Catch this vibe as you meander over my thoughts:

http://http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hY7UG3BFilA (open in a new tab)


As we mourned for the death of one friend we forgot about the other. We cried for hip-hop when it was becoming to commercial and its authenticity was judged on rims instead of rhymes. We sucked our teeth and shook our head as hip-hop was murdered right in front of our eyes. We "Yuuuled" and "Sholda Leaned" hip-hop right into the grave.

Nas made a song about it, friends talked about it, and devout fans cried about it. But where was the mourning and weeping for R&B. Why was there no outcry about the death of this much needed pillar in the music world.

Why was it that no good R&B crossed into the new millennium?? I thought the computer systems were supposed to crash in Y2K not R&B! SWV, Blackstreet, 702, Next, Escape, Boyz II Men, En Vogue, Case, Monifah, Donnell Jones, Lauryn Hill , Jodeci, Total, and Shai got swallowed up in the wave of the ending of the 90's.

Now don't get me wrong there are still some good R&B artists out now but... where is the substance? Why am I not able to feel any emotion from these songs? As I sit in my nostalgic state, I drop into a depression so deep that I just might not make it out.

I scourer the radio looking for good music but my search is in vain. So now I pay my respects to my fallen friend R&B...I throw roses on its grave and pray that just as Jesus was resurrected it will rise again too. That's all for now...

No comments:

Post a Comment