Saturday, April 4, 2009

My Ode To Books...

I just finished reading Alice Walker's The Color Purple and a thought popped into my head: books allow me to escape into a world that is all my own.
Natasha Bedingfield embodied what I was thinking:
I have to thank my parents for encouraging me to read outside of my mandatory school books. I'm saddened by the lack of reading that I see (or don't see for that matter) in the younger generation. I love books so much just for the simple fact that they allow me to leave my present situation and go somewhere else (even if only for a short time). Every time I read a book it seems like a movie screen drops in front of my eyes and I can see the book being played out. How well I can see the movie is how I judge how well an author writes.
Zora Neal Hurston's Their Eyes Were Watching God is my favorite book of all time because I felt like I was everywhere the characters were. I cried when they cried, was scared when they were, and shared in their joyous moments like they actually happened to me. J.K. Rowling's Harry Potter series are some of my favorite books also because she thrusts the reader deeper into the plot with each sentence. J.K allows us (the reader) to experience every spell, potion, and adventurous trip she makes the characters go through.
Now don't get me wrong I'm not one to ever run from a fight or confrontation (my family, friends, and non-friends *enemies is such an ugly word* can attest to that) but sometimes I just want to be somewhere only I know about. Books are like a mental tree house that I can climb into and just chill. Nothing bothers me when I am reading, books blanket the world and bring me peace. So you could call this my thank you letter to books. Books (if you're listening...lol) thank you so much for helping me to leave any drama, sorrow, or boring classes (yes I do read in the middle of lectures) temporarily and receiving me into your world with open arms. I know our relationship will be for eternity.That's all for now...

No comments:

Post a Comment